Head Lice Prevention
Head lice prevention and education can help stop the spread of
head lice, especially among school aged children.
Here are some steps to take in order to prevent and control the spread
of head lice.
- Hot Wash Cycle.Thoroughly wash infected clothing in hot
water (or discard altogether) because lice and their eggs often live on
your clothing. When washing, set to the machine to at least 130 degrees
and use the hot cycle when drying. Very important to eliminating body
- Plastic Bags.Use plastic bags to store items that cannot be
washed. Generally, these lice cannot live without a host for more than
7 days, so hopefully keeping these contaminated items separated will
help to kill them.
- Vacuum. Be sure to vacuum the floor and furniture in all
areas where the infested person sat or lay.
Basically, quarantine everything! Well, that's our suggestion :)
Things to AVOID:
- Hair-to-hair or head-to-head contact with another person
who has head lice (this is why so many kids get it in school!... think
sports activities and camp)
- Sharing clothing, especially anything that goes on or
near the head, like hats, hoodies, jackets, scarves, headbands, hair
- Sharing personal hygiene tools or personal belongings
like towels, brushes/combs. Make sure to disinfect all your own
belongings if you have head lice.
- Fumigant sprays or fogs - they aren't necessary for head
lice and can be sometimes be toxic to your health.
If you have other ideas or tips and tricks, we'd love to hear from you!
Just share with us using the box below.
head lice prevention to Head Lice page
Return to Home
Remedy Almanac home page